Friday, February 19, 2021

This book was recommended to me and I am very happy I read it.  The message is excellent and very inspiring! Brother Miller invites us to die now as to the natural man, and begin our resurrection (or rebirth) now. He explains this concept much better than I can:

To live a Christian life is to live in Christ as if he were already present.  As a Christian, I, like the Nephites, must learn to live as though Christ were already here.  I must learn to live time out of order. For the Nephites, the temptation was to think that Christ only belonged to the future.  For me, the temptation is to think that Christ only belongs to the past (or, again, to some future world). Either way, the temptation is to think that Christ does not belong to the present.  But a past or future Christ is not enough. It is not enough for me to believe in the past or future idea of Christ.  To be Christian, I have to learn to share my life with Christ in the present (pg. 3)

Dying to my old life, I’ve surrendered my name and life for his.  This is what I promised when I was baptized. This is what I promised in the temple.  This is what I promise again each week with the sacrament. I promise to turn my life over to God, to consecrate the whole of it, and I promise to do so now, not later. I promise to always remember him.  I promise to think what he would think, to say what he would say, to do what he would do.  I promise to pray for his will to be done, not mine. I promise to be part of the body of Christ.  I promise to let the light and life of his resurrection shine in me. In this sense, resurrection isn’t only for the next life.  It'ss meant, all the more, for my troubled present. If I insist on postponing my death, then I also insist on postponing my redemption. But if I’m willing to let those selfish parts of me die now—long before my body fails and my heart stops—then Christ’s resurrection can also begin to take hold of my body now. I can share in Christ’s life in this world and in this flesh (pgs. 8,9).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment