I am humbled that the Lord gave me the opportunity to be a mother. Motherhood came early to me and that was a blessing because I had energy and desire but oh my, I was winging it. But then, how do you ever fully prepare for motherhood? There are things I would do differently and I think about that long list often, but the Lord knows that I was trying my best. I was very touched by the words of Neil F. Marriott when she said:
Love is making space in your life for someone else.
I believe that "to mother" means "to give life." Think of the many ways you give life. Sisters, all of us came to earth with these life-giving, nurturing, maternal gifts because that is God's plan.
What does the Savior do continually? He nurtures. He creates.
He encourages growth and goodness.
Women and sisters, we can do these things!
(General Conference, Women's Session April 2016)
It has been a great blessing and privilege for me to make space in my life for these five children, and now their spouses and six grandchildren. To give life, to be a co-creator with God has been one of my choicest blessings here on earth and I thank the Lord for this gift. To see children grow and mature, to see them learn and develop and progress, that is the most satisfying thing!
I know that before these children were born to Matthew and I, they were (and are) the children of God, and that He knows them and loves them. It would be enough to simply have them on loan from Him while I am here on earth, but to have the blessing of being sealed as a family for eternity! What an incredible and joyful blessing.

No comments:
Post a Comment