Wednesday, August 21, 2024

I was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago and I heard chaplaincy described as a "precious vocation." I agree with that description.

I visited G_____ last week and her face was bruised due to a fall, but she was in good spirits. Today she was lying in bed in a very relaxed position with her eyes closed. The hospice nurse was there and told me she thought G____ would pass away today. Knowing that this may be my last visit with G____, and understanding that she may still be able to hear, I sat down in a chair by her bed and spoke to her. Well, first I turned on some soft spiritual music as I know she loves music. 

I told her how much I enjoyed getting to know her.  She is a bright light and I have been so impressed with her positive attitude.  I reminded her of the many, many people she has lifted and blessed throughout her life. Her family adores her and so do countless others. She has brought the gift of music to hundreds of individuals. 

I expressed all that I had to say, and then I sat in the chair and played song after song for her. Sunlight was coming in the window and I felt a wonderful spirit in her room. It is a precious vocation.

I thank the Lord for the opportunity I have had to visit her and get to know her. 

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely! It is just what I would imagine you would bring as a chaplain to someone else's life! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete