Tuesday, July 2, 2024

A couple of nights ago I had a hard time falling asleep.  I analyzed this and tried to figure out what was happening. Was I anxious about something in the future? Not really. Was I upset about something that had happened? Not that I could think of. I finally put my finger on it--my head was so full of information that my mind was still spinning and taking it all in.  

I am reading books and listening to talks and podcasts for a big part of the day.  I have class discussions, ministering visits with a variety of people, and assignments to write.  I am drinking from a fire hose and learning so much. My mind is trying to process it all. I love being stretched.

Here are some nuggets I have been pondering:

"When we honestly ask ourselves which persons in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving much advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a gentle and tender hand.  The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not-knowing, not-curing, not-healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness. That is the friend who cares."
Henry Nouwen 

Hold a hand, listen, be present.

Master the present moment.

"What a precious vocation (Chaplaincy) we are a part of! To be invited into the worst moments in a person's life and attempt to bring the comfort of God to them is extremely precious."
Chaplain Stories Podcast

The opposite of anxiety is curiosity.

We have a crockpot God and a microwave mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment