The two pictures above represent the thousands of items that we have been sorting through at my parent's home. This process has led me to think deeply.
How many things do we need in our homes?
When do you have enough?
What do you take with you when you die?
Why is it difficult for people raised during the Depression to give things away?
What can I do to motivate myself to sort through things every year for the rest of my life?
Do "things" make your life easier or more complicated?
Am I being ungrateful or unfeeling to give items away that my parents loved?
Is the memory of an object from my childhood satisfactory, or do I need to keep the object itself?
My mother saved Christmas cards that were sent to her, "get-well" cards, and thank you cards. I think she wanted to remember the thoughtfulness of the person who took the time to write. Can I remember the thoughtfulness and regard the sender with appreciation, without keeping the card?
Perhaps my parents had a plan to sort through all of this "someday," but health challenges and age made it difficult to follow through with the plan. I am thinking that it is better to sort-as-you-go, rather than waiting to do a mammoth sorting project at the end of your life.
Living in a large home with lots of storage provides ample space and opportunity for holding on to more than you need.
When should a couple downsize?
Will we know when it is time?
I need to check myself. Are my full cupboards and dressers a manifestation of greed?
Is it easier to sort through things when parents are alive, or after they have passed?
I am fortunate that I live near the house they most recently lived in. As siblings, we have had the luxury of taking our time and going through things thoroughly.
Giving items away to families or individuals in need is very satisfactory.
The journey of sorting and cleaning has been therapeutic and sweet, and a lot of hard work. I feel like I have, in a way, looked over the course of their lives, by touching the pictures, letters, objects, etc., that were meaningful to them.


No comments:
Post a Comment