Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Today I am sharing three books I read last year and a quote from each. I would not recommend reading the Economics textbook unless you have to for a class.  It was very long and thorough! 


Women in the Church, although not ordained to the priesthood, still act with legitimate priesthood power and authority in the ecclesiastical structure of the Church—authority that is not made available to any other women or men on the earth.  So, paradoxically, though I hold no priesthood office, I believe I exercise more priesthood authority than do my sisters in other religious groups (pg. 85).

 

 

The unemployment of any resource creates economic waste.  Unemployed labor is of particular concern, however.  If oil, copper ore, or timber are currently unemployed, they can be used later.  Similarly, inventories that are not sold and that remain unused because of a change in demand can usually be stored for sale and consumption later. Even unemployed capital is available for use at some point in the future, although it will generally have depreciated somewhat over time.  Labor, however, is perishable—it cannot be stored fur future use. If you are unemployed today, the output that you would have produced is forever lost to the economy.  You may go back to work tomorrow, but it is not possible for the economy to recover and use the hours that you did not work today. For this reason, unemployed labor imposes large efficiency losses on an economy (pgs. 320, 321).

 


By embracing a less than perfectly planned conception, becoming a father and attempting to meaningfully engage in a child’s life, young men are embracing the chance to do something productive to counteract the problems they see all around them (pg. 67).

Men at the bottom are less likely to get married, but they are far more likely than those in the middle class to have children across multiple partnerships. These men are on a family-go-round, where good fatherhood is accomplished by moving from one child to another- by trying again and again (pg. 189).

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment