I read this in a magazine:
When my wife gets a little upset, sometimes a simple "Calm down" in a
soothing voice is all it takes to get her a lot upset.
I laughed out loud when I read this, because I can relate. For years Matthew has calmed me by saying "It will all work out," and I don't know why but his words used to really annoy me. I think it is because I felt like he did not feel the stress, and I wanted him to (I know, that sounds crazy). He was brushing past (or at least I thought he was), the intensity of the moment and looking ahead. I think that I was looking for someone to commiserate for a moment about the complexity of the situation or characters before moving on. Of course he was correct in that things did work out and I have learned to listen to his words and find assurance in them instead of being annoyed.
No comments:
Post a Comment