Saturday, March 20, 2021



A good friend recommended the presentation by the Holland family at Roots Tech 2021, and I enjoyed it very much. This was one of my favorite parts of the presentation:

Matthew Holland:
When I was going through a moment of a kind of developmental crisis and challenge, I was a teenager and we had come from Bountiful back to Provo and I was just starting High School and it kind of broke my confidence, and all of a sudden my athletic dreams, my social dreams, my academic dreams just seemed to be going out the door.

And I remember as long as I live, I can just see the scene sitting on the edge of my bed, just depressed, and my mom came in, and it was time for bed. She sat there and asked me what was going on. We talked and I opened up and told her all of the things that I hated about my new life, and she grabbed the scriptures that were on the edge of my bed, in part because she and the two of you had taught me to read my scriptures. They were there But I don’t know how much they meant to me at that point.

She said, “Matthew, I want to read you a scripture.” She turned open to Matthew, chapter 6, and she prefaced it, she said, "I know you want friends.  I know you want to do good in school and I know you want to do great in athletics, but remember this verse. 'But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.'"

You looked at me and you promised me that life would work out. "But just remember as important as school is and friends, athletics, it’s not as important as the kingdom of God, and put that first in your life and all the other things in your life will fall into place."
 
Now that was a turning point in my life.  I don’t know that I was necessarily set to go off the deep end, but my life was sort of here (gesturing low) and in one night it went there (gesturing high). Because of that exchange with a mother, and it wasn’t just an exchange with a mother because as my mother was testifying to me of it, my father was living it.
 
Pat responded:
I mean they make it sound like I am super woman, I’m not. As Matt quoted that scripture, my mother quoted that to me, and they also taught me the gospel and to put the kingdom first. I had that faith given to me by my mother, and that’s how we got through.


No comments:

Post a Comment