Wednesday, September 23, 2020

 Yesterday I read some crushing words from Tanya Maria Golash-Boza regarding colorism.

"Whereas racism relies on the belief that some races are better than others, colorism is the idea that, within races, lighter is better. Colorism is a global phenomenon, with a long history and distinct manifestations around the world."

"Researchers found that across the board, darker-skinned men and women were less likely to marry than their lighter-skinned counterparts."

"Women around the world feel more pressure than men to be beautiful, as a woman's beauty is one of her most important assets." 

(Race & Racisms: A Critical Approach, pgs. 118, 119, and 128)


I found out that women all over the world who have dark skin are bombarded with messages (some overt, some covert), telling them that they would be more attractive if they had lighter skin.  Thousands upon thousands of these women buy skin whitening cream and rub it on their faces. Not surprisingly, the bleaching cream potentially harms a woman physically, besides the psychological trauma.

This is an example to me of the white privilege I have grown so accustomed to.  Not once in my entire life have I thought about my skin color, and wanting it to be lighter.  If anything, I have thought it was too white and I have sought to tan it. 

I feel horrible that women feel pressured to change their skin color to become more attractive to future mates, gain better employment, and please society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment