Monday, September 16, 2019

 
I have been indexing monthly this year.  My total number of indexed names is not astronomical, but I have consistently spent a little time each month indexing and I really like it. Something happens to me when I index and I have been trying to put my finger on it.  I think it is a feeling of happiness that I am helping, even in a small way.  Many times when I have typed in a name and accompanying information, I have wished I could go back in time and get to know the person.  What was their life like? What did their daily routine look like?  Were they happy? What were their struggles? I am also filled with awe that we put so much effort into recording ever single person.  Our work seems endless as we record thousands upon thousands of people from various records. Why do we do this? Because every single person is important and is known to the shepherd.  My testimony of the principle of "Individual Worth" has grown through indexing.  Yesterday I was indexing death records for the state of Alabama.  I came across two one year-olds who had died in the 1840's.  These two little children are known, remembered, and recorded, just as every single sheep will eventually be accounted for.  How beautiful is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment