Friday, August 30, 2019

I really, really like this book.  I just spent the last several hours typing up notes from it, to reference in future family meetings, lessons, and personal study.  

Patrick Mason writes about many important things, such as: understanding church history, supporting church leaders, being a member of a church community, religious trends, doubts and questions, and discipleship. 

The book is interesting and easy to read. Patrick has a solid spiritual foundation, and he is knowledgeable, approachable, and human. His style is non-threatening and welcoming. I have referred many family members and friends to this book and will continue to talk it up because I think it is such critical reading. 

How do I choose a few favorite lines? I could share pages and pages.  Here are just a few excerpts:


To expect prophets to be perfect, to be troubled by anything that falls short of what we perceive as a celestial paradigm, and to make it an ironclad requirement that prophets be 100 percent right 100 percent of the time supposes that God’s call overrides human agency.  That is not only bad history but also bad theology. (pg. 107)

A thorough and honest examination of Mormonism can enhance rather than detract from a life of deep faith and committed discipleship. We are confident enough in the truthfulness of the gospel and the divine mission of the church that we can have hard conversations and need not shy away from difficult issues.  (pg. 4)


If we are ever to find peace in the church, we can only do so by finding Christ in it. When we abide in Christ, our history, our theology, and our ministry will bear fruit.  Conversely, any story that we tell that is disconnected from the narrative of sin and redemption in Christ is bound to be lifeless.  (pgs. 118,119)

Full participation in the church invites, even compels, me to have not just grudging tolerance for my fellow humans but to develop deep empathy and genuine charity for them, all while shining a light on my own flaws and hoping that others will forgive my many trespasses against them. (pg. 148)


No comments:

Post a Comment