Sunday, September 23, 2018

Astrid Tuminez is the new president of Utah Valley University.  Astrid's educational attainments despite her impoverished background are astounding, but today I want to dwell on the feeling of welcome her family has felt since moving to Utah. 

Astrid said, "People have been very welcoming, kind and friendly.  It makes the transition easier when you know you're coming into a community that welcomes you. One of the very biggest surprises is how nice people are.  I've worked in big cities, and in New York City, you don't say hello to your neighbor.  You avoid eye contact.  I know the second week at president's house, someone dropped off brownies and I just thought 'They really do this here?' Friday evening, someone dropped off hamburgers and french fries because I think they heard my in-laws were staying with me because of the fire.  So that's a very pleasant surprise.  My husband referred to it as 'being in the community of kindness.'"

I wish everyone that moved to Utah felt this same, warm welcome.  What a marvelous thing it is to live in a community of kindness.

Taken from an article by Marjorie Cortez titled "Nobody Can Stop You From Dreaming."

No comments:

Post a Comment