Tuesday, April 11, 2017





For an assignment in English 312: (give a two minute speech on why you love America.)
Today I will mention three things that I love about America:  pot holes, yellow signs, and orange cliffs.  When I drive over a pot hole in my neighborhood, I call the Public Works Department, and they will send someone out the next to fill in the pot hole.  Just like that.  Our mail is delivered six days a week to our houses.  Our garbage is picked up every week without fail. I love America for the services we enjoy. 
          I live three houses down from a trail and this trail leads to miles of other trails in what is called the Dimple Dell trail system.  People from around the valley bring their horses to walk these trails.  I have seen foxes, owls, deer, and a variety of birds.  There are some members of the city and county council that want to pave the trail and there are thousands of residents who are against the paving of the trail.  We don’t want motorbikes or motorized scooters on the trail.  We want the trail system left natural, so we put up yellow signs in our yard that say, “Keep Dimple Dell Wild!” and we attend city and county council meetings.  We speak up and we write letters and we band together in peaceful demonstration.  I love America because I have a voice.
          Have you seen the orange cliffs or Bryce Canyon?  Have you looked at the trees in John Muir Woods in California or walked along Canon Beach in Oregon?  Have you seen the mountains in New Mexico or the views in Glacier National Park in Montana?  What about the fall leaves in New Hampshire, or the coasts of Maine?  I have seen those places and they are all extraordinarily beautiful and they are all part of America. Potholes are fixed, my voice can be heard, and there is exquisite natural beauty in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment