Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Here are some statements I read this morning:

The saying goes that money can't buy happiness, which is a nice idea, but not entirely true.  Money buys a lot of happiness:  stability, better health care, a home in a safe neighborhood, an education, and nutritious food, all which lead to greater happiness.

But the reality is, when it comes to money, most Americans don't spend it in the right places to make us happy.

If money doesn't make you happy, then you probably aren't spending it right.
Experiences trump physical objects in making us happy.  Our experiences are more centrally connected with our identities.  experiences are more likely to be shared with other people, and other people are our greatest source of happiness.

Almost anything we do to improve our connections with others tends to improve our happiness as well.

Spending for the betterment of others, prosocial spending, contributes to greater happiness.  So does spending on a friend, spouse or other family member.

Most people predicted that spending on themselves would bring greater happiness, when in fact the opposite is true.

We should look for ways to buy small pleasures, rewarding ourselves and others, on a more frequent basis instead of holding out for the large pleasures.

When we do hold out for those larger pleasures, we should allow ourselves ample anticipation time, because anticipation is a source of free happiness.

While money can be a powerful tool for happiness, most of these points come at a bargain rate. In fact, when it comes to experiences, relationships, small pleasures and anticipation, it doesn’t take much to enhance our lives.

(From an article titled "How To Buy Happiness at a Bargain" by Tiffany Gee Lewis, Deseret News June 30, 2016)

     I would like to comment on this:  I agree that money does buy happiness in many ways, such as where you live, having a reliable car, having food to eat every day, and having clothes to wear.  I am blessed with many material things like a dishwashwer, a washer and dryer, air conditioning, carpet, electricity, and all of these physical things make me feel grateful and happy.       
     I agree that sometimes people don't spend their money in the right places.  Perhaps we are all guilty of that, but this is a good reminder for me to think about where my money is going.  
     I love when Tiffany explained that "experiences trump physical objects in making us happy".  So true!  For example, I would much rather spend time with my Dad than have him buy me something. I would rather spend time with my grandchildren doing something creative than go to the store and buy them each a toy.
     Yes, spending money on other people can bring happiness.  Yes, looking for small pleasures in life brings happiness, and yes, anticipating something in the future can also bring happiness.  "There is something in each day to embrace and cherish" said Dieter Uchtdorf, and there is hope and anticipation for a bright tomorrow.
     This article helped me to see money as a tool from the Lord for providing for one's needs, and then using that tool to lift others.  So, what can I do today with my money to make someone happy or make someone's life easier?

No comments:

Post a Comment