Here is an excerpt of what Michale Gerson said this week:
Other lives can be guided, but not really shaped.
People have some irreducible core that can only be accepted. And acceptance is the completion of love.
As parents, our job in life is to wholly, truly, wish and work for the benefit and happiness of another human being, not to seek what makes us happy through them.
I hope that my children feel loved and accepted. As their parent I did
want to guide and shape them and I think that is what a parent is
supposed to do--to guide them towards a value-centered life. I felt that it was my responsibility, and a serious one, to teach and train my children. On the other hand, I hope that I did not impose or force my expectations or dreams on them, but that I supported them in what they wanted to do.

No comments:
Post a Comment