Saturday, May 24, 2014
So, going along with the last post about us having more stuff than we need, I read a quote yesterday from Elder Micahel John U. Teh. He said:
There is no end to what the world has to offer, so it is critical that we learn to recognize when we have enough. If we are not careful, we will begin to chase after the temporal more than the spiritual. Our pursuit for the spiritual and eternal will then take a backseat, instead of the other way around.
Elder Teh goes on to talk about earthly treasures and heavenly treasures:
We all know that our list of earthly treasures consists of pride, wealth, material things, power, and the honors of men.
What are some treasures in heaven that we can lay up for ourselves? For starters, it will be well for us to acquire the Christlike attributes of faith, hope, humility, and charity. Second, we need to put more quality time and effort into strengthening family relationships. Third, serving others is a hallmark of a true follower of Christ. Fourth, understanding the doctrine of Christ and strengthening our testimony is a labor that will bring real joy and satisfaction.
(General Conference April, 2014)
Earthly treasures that I cannot take with me to the next life: food, quilting projects, appliances (aren't they wonderful?!), my yard, money, furniture, clothes, cars, shoes, etc.
Heavenly treasures that I will be able to take with me to the next life: memories, my testimony, love, relationships, covenants, knowledge, my heart (which I hope to be pure), something--I don't know how to describe it or even if you will be able to see it--but it will represent my efforts at trying to be obedient and trying to do good...maybe that it is part of my heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment