Tuesday, May 27, 2014

In honor of Memorial Day...



Excerpts from a letter from Private Werner Liebert to his parents,
December 1914, World War 1

My dear, dear parents--
Your letter of the 26th brought me the sad certainty that my dear brother had died a hero's death.  The post came early this morning.  My pain is inexpressible.  I am not to be comforted.  I can't yet realize that I shall not see Hans or hear his voice again.  The thought that the dear fellow, who went off so full of joy and hope, will never again see that home and those dear ones for whom he was no doubt longing just as I am, is intolerable.  Of you and your sorrow I cannot think without tears.  
Only one thing comforts me a little:  since I have known that my dear brother is no more, a wonderful change has taken place in me.  I suddenly believe in immortality and in a meeting again in the other world.  Those conceptions were empty words to me before.  Since the day before yesterday they are objects of firm faith.  For it cannot be that death should part one forever from those one loves.  What would be the use of all love and affection, which are the most beautiful flowers in human life, if they were to be destroyed for ever in an instant?  
(Taken from "The 50 greatest letters from America's Wars" by David H. L. Lwenherz, pgs. 121-124)

No comments:

Post a Comment