Friday, July 26, 2024



  

 Lessons I learned from the Pioneer Day Provo Temple to Temple 5k that can be applied to my life:

1.  There are lots of people who participate in this race. It was fun getting to know some of them.

2. Enjoy the scenery. I ran past the location of the old Provo temple (it has been completely razed), the MTC, the football stadium, the field house, the indoor practice facility, Brick Oven restaurant, shaded neighborhoods, finally arriving at the beautiful Provo City Center Temple. 

3. Set your own pace. I had people passing me throughout the entire race and I was sure I would be one of the last people to cross the finish line, but it didn't matter.  I was running at a pace that felt comfortable to me.

4. Look outward!  (Which I did not do.)  I was hot and focused and just trying to make it through the race.  I was not looking outward but was looking at the road in front of me.  A college-aged girl ran past me and said, "You'll make it.  You've got this." I appreciated her encouragement.  

5. The goal I set ahead of time helped.  I told myself that I could go as slow as I wanted, but that I was going to run the entire race. It helped to have set that goal before the race. I know some conditions present themselves which make the altering of a goal necessary, but in this case, the established goal carried me through the fatigue.

6. Don't give up! Keep running. You'll make it! I crossed the finish line with a beet-red face, but I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment