Monday, May 13, 2024

This vase sat on my table for Mother's Day dinner because it has special meaning to me. First of all, my mother loved fresh flowers on her dining table.  She often used a tablecloth or placemats and added a vase with fresh flowers. 
Second, there is a special story about the vase that I remember my mother telling me.

My mother loved the color purple.  She had a deep purple comforter and some purple accessories in her bedroom.  She liked all colors actually, but in her bedroom she went for a purple theme.  One day she was visiting a sister in her ward and the sister had some flowers on display in a beautiful purple vase.  My mother complimented this sister on the vase and flowers and later the sister gave the beautiful vase to my mother. My mother was embarrassed that she had commented on the vase and feared her comments seemed like a hint to the woman that she wanted the vase.  She never meant for the vase to be given to her, but this sweet sister gave it to my mom, and my mom was touched with her generosity and she cherished the vase for years.  The vase was on display in my mother's bedroom, and when we were going through my parent's home after they both passed away, I asked if I could keep the vase as a memory of my mother and the sister who generously gifted it to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment