Thursday, May 2, 2024

I volunteer for a hospice company at a memory care section of a senior care facility.  Chaplains are supposed to have conversations with people so I wondered how I could be of help in the memory care section. I thought there were other jobs that were more worth my time. I was wrong. This experience is proving to be very valuable to me.

First of all, I do have conversations with individuals.  Even though some of the patients repeat themselves or may not make sense, I listen to them and validate them. I look at them and try to keep focused while they are talking.  I hope they feel of my care. I am learning a lot from them.

I am also learning from the wonderful and patient aides who care for the residents day and night.  They are so heroic to me! These individuals are society's unsung heroes.  Due to privacy, I can not show you pictures of them, but I wish I could.  I want to praise and recognize them, but I think they would be uncomfortable with that.  I try as best I can to validate these workers, but my words seem like a drop in the bucket compared to their tireless efforts. It takes a very special type of person to work with memory care patients.

What am I learning about society? America is aging and there will be thousands more people in facilities like this one in the years to come. It is often hard to find enough staff and usually turnover is frequent. How are we going to care for our abundance of seniors, particularly for those who need constant care? It is a concern to me.

I am learning about myself and my relationship to others. No matter the individual's condition, people enjoy conversation and attention. They also need mental stimulation. I have seen this play out.  The residents get bored and restless if they are just sitting around. These individuals are capable of creativity and they respond magically to music. I have much more to learn in this "classroom." 

No comments:

Post a Comment