Wednesday, February 21, 2024

This book was worth the read for these written gems and art:

What do women hold? 
The home and the family.
And the children and the food.
The friendships.
The work.
the work of the world.
And the work of being human.
The memories.
And the troubles
and the sorrows
and the triumphs.
And the love.

Men do as well, but not quite in the same way.
Sometimes, when I am feeling
particularly happy or content,
I think I can provide sustenance
for legions of human beings.
I can hold the entire world in my arms.
Other times, I can barely cross the 
room. And I drop my arms. Frozen.
then
I am brought back to my grandmother,
my mother, my aunts,
my sister, my daughter,
my granddaughters,
my cousins,
The women who are my friends.
We have spoken to each other
for thousands of hours.




It is hard work 
to hold everything
and it never ends.
You may be exhausted from holding things
and be disheartened.  And even weep if
you are very emotional. Which would be
anyone on any day. With good reason.
But then there is the next moment
and the next day and
 
hold on.

(Maira Kalman, Women Holding Things)



 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment