I have been studying the attribute of diligence and here are a few things I have learned:
In Preach My Gospel, diligence is defined as steady, consistent, earnest and energetic effort in doing the Lord's work.
Diligence is one of the most important attributes.
When someone is diligent, they have the ability to do good things over and over.
No matter if it is inconvenient or hard, a diligent person prays for strength and continues. A diligent person carries on even if they don't feel like it or are tired.
Someone who is diligent stays focused and finds ways to diminish distractions.
Synonyms of diligent are: persistent, determined, hard-working, doing something with care, patient, and persevering.
Antonyms of diligent are: slothful, idle, unwise, impatient, lacking effort, lacking a plan, unsteady, and inconsistent.
Alma 7:23--Be diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times.
D&C 107:99,100--Let every man learn his duty and act in all diligence.
D&C 58: 27--Men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause and do many things of their own free will and bring to pass much righteousness. For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves.
I want my piano students to practice five or six days a week. I would rather have them practice thirty minutes a day over a period of days than three hours in one day. Why? Because there is something about the daily repetition that gets in their head. After they spend time at the piano, it is like their mind continues to work on the piece throughout the day and while they sleep, and then they hit it again the next day. Daily practice is very powerful.
Consider this--Is it better to have daily spiritual habits or save them all for one day a week and do them all then? Daily spiritual habits bring spiritual strength, power, and confidence, and they also lead to an increase in the Spirit.
Diligence is a moral muscle in that it can be strengthened. It is a skill that can be learned.
How does one improve their diligence? It is best if I make a plan and decide on a small daily task that I would like to do, and then follow through and do it.
Diligence in living the gospel is an expression of one's love for the Lord and His work.
God has reserved blessings for those who are diligent. "Because of your diligence, ye shall pluck the fruit which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet" (Alma 32:42). "Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love."

No comments:
Post a Comment