1. Her first bit of advice is for couples to communicate and to share things as they really are.
"I’ve often heard men stand at the pulpit and declare, 'Through all my years of Church service, my wife has never once complained.' Whenever I’ve heard this, I have always silently cringed. I feel that a healthy husband-wife relationship requires honesty, ongoing conversations about 'things as they really are,' and discussions about what is working and what could be improved while juggling family life and callings."
2. Next, Sister Porter encourages us to seek for the individual, spiritual gifts that are needed.
"Spiritual gifts will be key in helping you know how to meet important needs of each other and of your children while serving in the Church. When your spouse was set apart for their calling, hands were laid on his or her head, giving them spiritual gifts from their Heavenly Father that they needed to magnify their calling. You will also need spiritual gifts to be able to fulfill the extra responsibilities that will be yours."
3. We all need support.
"Simple questions such as 'How can I support you with the time I have available?' and 'What is most important to you?' can make all the difference."
4. Embrace growth. We can grow together.
"We came to view ourselves as a team and learned to appreciate and draw upon each other’s unique gifts and growing testimonies. We ultimately became each other’s refuge from the storms of life."
Here are her concluding remarks:
"As I strove to support my spouse in serving in the Savior’s Church, I came to know that Heavenly Father is aware of every sacrifice, every behind-the-scenes effort, and every prayer for help that I’ve offered, and I have experienced His strength and love and guidance throughout my life."
(https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/liahona/2021/07/digital-only/to-the-spouses-of-those-with-busy-callings-thrive-dont-just-survive?lang=eng)

No comments:
Post a Comment