Happiness as we understand it in the modern world of neuroscience and social science is basically a combination of three phenomena. The first is enjoyment. The second is satisfaction. And the third is purpose. People who are truly happy — and what I’m saying is the people who have these things in balance and abundance — are the people who will report high levels of self-reported happiness.
The great irony is that to have happiness, you need purpose, and to have purpose, you need sacrifice and pain. And that actually entails some unhappiness. So when people are going through their lives trying to avoid unhappiness, what they inadvertently do is they wind up avoiding a lot of their own happiness.
Four Habits of Highly Happy People are: faith, family, friendship and meaningful work. One of the things that I recommend, when I look diagnostically at
people who say, "I can’t find a particular direction in my life," "I don’t
feel like I’m as happy as I could be," I look diagnostically at their
happiness portfolio. And I almost always find that they’re over indexing
on one thing, and under indexing on the other things.
Despair is really the opposite of dignity. And dignity requires one big
thing, which is being needed. This is really, really important. When you're not needed — whether it’s by a full-time job, whether it’s
by children, whether it’s by community, whether it’s by other people —
then you will lose your dignity, which is the basis of despair.
(https://www.deseret.com/2022/3/20/22983593/perspective-harvard-scholar-arthur-brooks-on-the-secrets-to-happiness-family-faith)
No comments:
Post a Comment