Wednesday, May 12, 2021

This is Gena Hamadey. In 2018 she did something spectacular. While she commuted each day from Brooklyn to New Jersey and back, instead of scrolling through social media posts, she wrote a thank you note. She wrote a thank you note every day for a year! Gena says, 

"Writing thank-you notes was time spent on something purely positive. It was an act of noticing and honoring my own life."

When writing notes to close family members, she noted, "Doing so changed the fundamental dynamics of these relationships in small but impactful ways.  I was smoothing out any prickly bumps and buffing them to a new shine.  It is a powerful thing, I learned, to fully appreciate and feel fully appreciated by the people closest to you."

She then explained how it was to write notes to those not in her close family circle: "Part of the magic of my Thank-You Year was reconnecting with people on the periphery of my life who nevertheless made a lasting impact."

I was impressed with Gena's story but I did not do what she did. Instead I wrote a thank you note each week for the past year and this week marks the end of my goal. I did not count thank-you notes for Christmas and birthday gifts because I wanted to reach out to people I do not usually communicate with. Here are a few examples of people/entitities I wrote to:

Stores

People who live in the extended neighborhood who keep their yards in good shape

Stake Presidency

Bishopric

Governor Herbert

Hair stylist

Church leaders

Fire fighters

A helpful PA at a doctor's office

Keesha at the Salt Lake County Health Department

Church Music Department

UDOT (isn't it wonderful to have the construction project on I-15 between Lehi and American Fork finished?!)

Zoom

Draper City

Sandy City Rec

Sandy City Police Department

A College professor

and Family members

Like Gena, I had a "feeling welling up inside of me," and that feeling was (and is) gratitude. There is much to complain about in life and many things that kept me worried and stressed this past year, but on the other hand, there is much good and a lot to be thankful for.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment