Thursday, April 15, 2021

This thought from David Owen in Atlantic Monthly made me smile:

"The popularity of video camera arises  from a simple misunderstanding. Somehow people have the idea that they won't mind being old if they can turn on the TV and see what they were like when they were young.  This is not true.

The best memories are ones that have been allowed to evolve unhindered by documentary proof.  I often cheer myself up by thinking back on my days as a football star.

These recollections would be less thrilling if they were accompanied by a video showing that I weighed 80 pounds and spent most of my time on the bench.  Memory is better than a video, because it's free and it doesn't work very well."

I agree! I thought our High School band was so good and we were playing such difficult music, but I am sure if I listened to a recording today of the 1982 band I would feel otherwise. My personal list of memories goes on and on. I like to remember the events and people as I remember them, and not have actual footage tell me differently:)

No comments:

Post a Comment