My thought today comes from the September 2018 Ensign. Sister Jutta Baum Busche writes about moving to the United States, Utah specifically, and trying to fit into the culture and ward she was in.
Jutta explains, "Intimidated by examples of perfection all around me, I increased my efforts to be like my sisters, and I felt disappointed in myself and even guilty when I didn't run every morning, bake all my own bread, sew my own clothes, or go to the university. I felt that I needed to be like the women among whom I was living, and I felt that I was a failure because I was not able to adapt myself easily to their lifestyles."
After a process and a period of time, Jutta came to the conclusion, "When I tried to copy my wonderful sisters, I failed. I learned to depend on the Spirit to guide me, secure in the knowledge that I am a daughter of God. I had to learn and believe that. I did not need to compete with others to be loved and accepted by my Heavenly Father. Our efforts should not be to perform nor to conform but to be transformed by the Spirit."
I glory in these thoughts. Our self-esteem does not come from our ability to match or even outperform the efforts of others. Our self-esteem does not come from the outward things we do, no matter how great those things may be, or how many things are done, or how busy we are. It is true that our acts are important indicators of our hearts, but acts do not solely define us. Instead, our self-esteem comes from a loving Heavenly Father who has known and loved us for a very long time, and the Spirit who assures us that we are of infinite worth, and that our individuality is prized and precious. We are inherently valued. We are daughters of the most high God. We are of infinite worth--each of us.

No comments:
Post a Comment