Sunday, September 16, 2018

I went to a musical this week performed at the Hale Center Theater in Orem.  What a funny name for a play (and a book), but what a marvelous, thoroughly enjoyable show.  There were surprisingly only two actors in the two-and-a-half hour show, but the actors were so engaging so as to keep my attention the entire time.  The script of the show consists of letters written by a young lady to a man, and both the content of the letters and the way the letters are read, are endearing. I loved the book but I loved the musical even more. A couple quotes from the book/show by Jean Webster:

It isn't the big troubles that require character.  Anybody can rise to a crisis and face a crushing tragedy with courage, but to meet the petty hazards of the day with a laugh--I really think that requires spirit.  It's the kind of character that I am going to develop.

It isn't the great big pleasures that count the most; it's making a great deal out of the little ones.  I've discovered the true secret of happiness, and that is to live in the now.  Not to be forever regretting the past, or anticipating the future; but to get the most that you can out of this very instant. I'm going to enjoy every second, and I'm going to know I'm enjoying it.  Most people don't live; they just race.  They are trying to reach some goal far away on the horizon, and in the heat of the going they get so breathless and panting that they lose all sight of the beautiful, tranquil country they are passing through and they the first thing they know, the are old and worn out, and it doesn't make any difference whether they've reached the goal or not.  I've decided to sit down by the way and pile up a lot of little happinesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment